Q&A #1726

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Math Club

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Pat Ballew

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000062215:07:11
Subject: Re: Math activities or clubs

If you can't find a formal program, try doing it on your own and let the interests of the students drive the creation.. Here are some ideas to use at first : Go to the math forum and look at some of the elementary POW from previous weeks. If any of them look at or just above the grade level (stretch them but not too much at first) then let the kids try to solve them. At first I would let them work individually or in groups as they wish.. they may float back and forth as the problems change... http://mathforum.com/pow/ Get some of the manipulative based programs (box it bag it .. whatever, I don't know the names at this level) for a couple of grades up and let them work on them... try some that are geometric and some about combinations and probability.... different kids will be attracted to different ones.. Look for projects that they can do with real data in your community... traffic studies on the street outside school, how many siblings do the kids in different grade levels have (do fifth graders have more siblings than 2nd graders on average?), who is absent from school more, boys or girls... be alert because the best questions to study come right out of the children's mouths. You can download some arcade games from Rick Paris, you can find a link at my web page at http://www.geocities.com/poetsoutback/ Look for something about middle school games and the link will download right to your computer with a self extracting zip file... lots of nice math/games on this.. Hope some of this helps.. good luck -Pat Ballew, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®