Q&A #1733

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Long division

T2T || FAQ || Teachers' Lounge || Browse || Search || T2T Associates || About T2T

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Dinyar Chavda

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001041902:49:33
Subject: Trivia re long division

Does anyone know the name of the symbol that is used (it looks like one-half of a box) in long division, where the denominator is to the left of the box, and the numerator is in the box, and the results are put above the box? e.g., to divide 200 by 23, we start as below. What is the name of the vertical and horizontal bars between 23 and 200? ______ 23 |200

Post a reply to this message
Post a related public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.