From: Dave Marain

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001042013:05:19
Subject: Re: Trivia re long division

Dinyar, Based on my recollection of this, the horizontal bar is a grouping symbol that appears in fractions (separating numerator and denominator), square roots (the radical symbol is ONLY the check mark!), repeating decimals, etc. The parenthesis part is just a separator between the divisor and the dividend and, in other cultures, it appears differently (ever see "upside down division?"). I'm sure others will have different interpretations, but this is what I believe! Dave

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/