From: Leslie Howe <teachhowe2@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000021300:14:13
Subject: using computers to teach mathematics

At our high school (Farragut H.S., Knoxville, Tennessee) we use
computers to enhance the teahing of mathematics.  Last year our 32
machines were used over 19,600 times.

Over the past five years I have prepared computer activities that
correlate with our curriculum.  I give a list of prepared activities
to teachers.  Sometimes teachers plan their own activities or ask me
to prepare one that is not on the list.  They sign up for the
activities and bring their classes to the lab.  These activities
usually last 20-25 minutes.  Everyday students tell me how much the
lab activities help their understanding. We find that the computer
makes it possible for students to receive instant feedback, additional
motivation and interactive explanation.

Activities are prepared using Mathematica, Cabri, Peanut Software and
Visual Basic (a programming language that is great for creating
interactive activities. At last count I had written over 100 programs
for teaching mathematics.)

Leslie Howe

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question