From: Leslie Howe

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000021300:14:13
Subject: using computers to teach mathematics

At our high school (Farragut H.S., Knoxville, Tennessee) we use computers to enhance the teahing of mathematics. Last year our 32 machines were used over 19,600 times. Over the past five years I have prepared computer activities that correlate with our curriculum. I give a list of prepared activities to teachers. Sometimes teachers plan their own activities or ask me to prepare one that is not on the list. They sign up for the activities and bring their classes to the lab. These activities usually last 20-25 minutes. Everyday students tell me how much the lab activities help their understanding. We find that the computer makes it possible for students to receive instant feedback, additional motivation and interactive explanation. Activities are prepared using Mathematica, Cabri, Peanut Software and Visual Basic (a programming language that is great for creating interactive activities. At last count I had written over 100 programs for teaching mathematics.) Leslie Howe

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/