Q&A #1739

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Purpose of studying algebra

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Keith Stephens

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000021621:02:42
Subject: Re: Re: Purpose of studying algebra

Thanks Jim At last someone telling it how it is. Don't get me wrong I think there are reasons to learn some algebra but the kind of problems we can justify it with at school are either irrelavent to the student or easier to understand by simple argument or trial and error. If I get this question in my classroom I usually tell the student that I am very willinng to discuss it at length after school as the purpose of this class is to learn algebra and not discuss the goals of education. That has always been the end of the topic. Let's face it most students are only asking the question to test you or waste time, your time Jim if you have any other simple words of wisdom I am very much interested in your ideas as I am teaching some kids with very low motivation and knowledge level. I am finding it very difficult to find ways of getting these kids motivated at all. We are talking 10th graders functioning at the 7-8 grade level, with lots of family problems and all the rest of it. Thanks Keith

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®