From: De Sinner <dsinner@esu13.org>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000030819:15:57
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Purpose of studying algebra

Keith, and others,

I have found, working with similar kids, that a "back to the basics"
approach works best. Meaning teach them how to "read" the problems,
analyze the problems for steps needing to solve, rather than looking
for solutions themselves.  In a way, convincing them that they are
reading instead of doing algebra, and why not give them success as
they work through the process.  After all, are we not trying to teach
them to think for themselves, no matter where or how they live.

If we teach a student how to think for him or her self, whether it be
through math or English or any other discipline, we have taught a life
skill. And that is education.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®