From: De Sinner

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000030819:15:57
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Purpose of studying algebra

Keith, and others, I have found, working with similar kids, that a "back to the basics" approach works best. Meaning teach them how to "read" the problems, analyze the problems for steps needing to solve, rather than looking for solutions themselves. In a way, convincing them that they are reading instead of doing algebra, and why not give them success as they work through the process. After all, are we not trying to teach them to think for themselves, no matter where or how they live. If we teach a student how to think for him or her self, whether it be through math or English or any other discipline, we have taught a life skill. And that is education.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/