Q&A #1739

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Purpose of studying algebra

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003011212:02:19
Subject: Re: Purpose of studying algebra

I have taught a few adults in GED classes. I often heard statements such as I don't need algebra so why do we have to take it? I sometimes answer, "If you don't learn algebra, you won't need it, because you will never get a job that requires it." One bright young man who worked in a textile mill said, "I don't need fractions, because when I need to cut a clothe 5/6 of a yard (or meter) I just use the marks on the cutting board." Actually, he was pretty good with fractions. BTW, the mill closed a couple of years later.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®