From: Loyd <loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003011212:02:19
Subject: Re: Purpose of studying algebra

I have taught a few adults in GED classes.  I often heard statements
such as I don't need algebra so why do we have to take it?

I sometimes answer, "If you don't learn algebra, you won't need it,
because you will never get a job that requires it."

One bright young man who worked in a textile mill said, "I don't need
fractions, because when I need to cut a clothe 5/6 of a yard (or
meter) I just use the marks on the cutting board."  Actually, he was
pretty good with fractions.  BTW, the mill closed a couple of years
later.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®