From: Curtis Lomax <slomax94087@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003060913:12:26
Subject: Re: Re: : Purpose of studying algebra

If I am following the just of this thread it seems to be saying that
students (teenagers) should and, possibly, will, if the parents have
done a good job, learn whatever we force down them.

Even if one asks why am I to learn this?  All that is needed is to
placate them, pass off the question successfully enough so they don't
ask it again.  Because they should just learn because I said so.  Or
if you pass even that off to the parents, because their parents said
so.

That is a bunch of crap.

While the teacher and parents may not want their adolescents to be
making decisions, they do.  Inspite of your assertions, they do have
free will, however unpleasant and difficult that makes teaching and
parenting.

Regardless of how they were raised and how well they trust their
parents or authority or whom is responsible for what, they will make
the final decision to learn or not to learn and no one, possibly, not
even themselves, will be able to alter that decision.

I assert that in any subject at any time a student asks, "Why am I to
learn this?  That question must be answered.  Else, the student will
have no purpose and everyones time will be waisted.

Curtis Lomax

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®