From: Curtis Lomax

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003060914:12:26
Subject: Re: Re: : Purpose of studying algebra

If I am following the just of this thread it seems to be saying that students (teenagers) should and, possibly, will, if the parents have done a good job, learn whatever we force down them. Even if one asks why am I to learn this? All that is needed is to placate them, pass off the question successfully enough so they don't ask it again. Because they should just learn because I said so. Or if you pass even that off to the parents, because their parents said so. That is a bunch of crap. While the teacher and parents may not want their adolescents to be making decisions, they do. Inspite of your assertions, they do have free will, however unpleasant and difficult that makes teaching and parenting. Regardless of how they were raised and how well they trust their parents or authority or whom is responsible for what, they will make the final decision to learn or not to learn and no one, possibly, not even themselves, will be able to alter that decision. I assert that in any subject at any time a student asks, "Why am I to learn this? That question must be answered. Else, the student will have no purpose and everyones time will be waisted. Curtis Lomax

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/