From: Jim Bannon

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002030411:46:25
Subject: Why study Algebra

I tell my 9th grade students they need Algebra for many reasons: 1) They must pass the course to get a High School diploma 2) All additional math classes and science classes they will take require an understanding of Algebra I. 3) If they plan on attending college they must have a solid math program on their record. 4) Even if they do not plan on attending college the reasoning skills that Algebra will provide them will be beneficial in all aspects of their lives. They will develop a process for problem solving that will assist them in buying a car, a home, etc. My brother is a lawyer and had difficulty with math but now realizes the hard work he put into understanding it has improved his reasoning skills and enables him to better present his case to a jury or judge. Jim

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/