From: Jim Bannon <bannonjames@msn.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002030410:46:25
Subject: Why study Algebra

I tell my 9th grade students they need Algebra for many reasons:

1) They must pass the course to get a High School diploma

2) All additional math classes and science classes they will take
require an understanding of Algebra I.

3) If they plan on attending college they must have a solid math
program on their record.

4) Even if they do not plan on attending college the reasoning skills
that Algebra will provide them will be beneficial in all aspects of
their lives. They will develop a process for problem solving that will
assist them in buying a car, a home, etc.
   My brother is a lawyer and had difficulty with math but now
realizes the hard work he put into understanding it has improved his
reasoning skills and enables him to better present his case to a jury
or judge.

Jim

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question