From: OP
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006082221:49:05
Subject: Who "invented" touch point math?

You said:
    "I vaguely remember meeting a person while I worked in a book and
stationery store in Oregon, who began telling me about his concept for
a new mathematical technique called Touch Point Math. Since then, I
have seen this technique used over the years and am now an avid fan
and teaching it to my own 3rd grade classroom. I would like to know if
indeed the man I met in Oregon was the actual originator, and/or what
that person's name is".

Response:
     What you did not say was what year you talked to this man.  Many
people over the years have had similar ideas about points or tallies
to help teach math to children.   I have a system I call DotMath for
kids.  I teach dot patterns (similar to dice)  and then show how to
make the number symbol from the dots but  I have never called them
touch points.

The DotMath web site is at
http://dotmath.tripod.com/

    My first version of  DotMath was in 1966 and have the copyright on
DOTMATH for kids..  I talked to the head of the school district here
and he said he was taught something  similar to what I have in 1950 in
Utah but I could not find any information or copyright on what he was
taught.

     There is a site called touch math and they teach touch points.
They use a combination of dots and circles on top of the number
symbol.   This is very different from DotMath so obviously  I do not
agree with their concept.   There has always been disagreement between
the experts in math and how to teach it and you will find
disagreement between DotMath for kids and touch math.  You can find
information about who developed it from their web site.

    You did not explain what touch points you teach or how long you
have been doing this.   Are they the “dots and circles” of touch math?
There are different patterns  so you need to explain  what you mean by
“touch point math”.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®