From: Dawn <dawnrowe@comcast.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008100921:55:49
Subject: Re: The Potential Dangers of Teaching Touch Math

I couldn't agree more with you that Touch Math is a danger to a
child's ability to understand math.  I paid $30 an hour at a private
school for the principal to tutor my daughter when she was in 1st
grade.  She was having difficulty with memorizing her basic math
facts.  The principal taught her Touch Math and now that she is in 5th
grade, she cannot add in her head to save her life.  Seriously, she
has to count out 1+2.  This system has been a total detriment to her
math abilities.  I have since started homeschooling her and we are
back at 1st grade math to try to get her to learn the facts.  She now
"touches" with her eyes while doing flash cards.  I am so
disappointed.  Do you have any advise as to how to help her?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/