Q&A #17459

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Who "invented" touch point math?

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Dawn

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008100921:55:49
Subject: Re: The Potential Dangers of Teaching Touch Math

I couldn't agree more with you that Touch Math is a danger to a child's ability to understand math. I paid $30 an hour at a private school for the principal to tutor my daughter when she was in 1st grade. She was having difficulty with memorizing her basic math facts. The principal taught her Touch Math and now that she is in 5th grade, she cannot add in her head to save her life. Seriously, she has to count out 1+2. This system has been a total detriment to her math abilities. I have since started homeschooling her and we are back at 1st grade math to try to get her to learn the facts. She now "touches" with her eyes while doing flash cards. I am so disappointed. Do you have any advise as to how to help her?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®