From: owen <owenbprince@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008100922:20:56
Subject: Re: Re: The Potential Dangers of Teaching Touch Math

To: Dawn <dawnrowe@comcast.net>
Date: 2008100921:55:49

  You said that you find that your child is stuck on the dots
in the touch math.  I found the same problem with my first system
of DotMath I made 1966 that had dots on top of the numbers so I
stopped doing that.   It took me many years to recover from doing
that.  I have recovered and now teach other people how to recover from
dots on top of the number.  Your child must relearn the dots off the
number in the form of dice patterns and then covert them to number
symbols.  It is very important to break the bond between the number
symbol and the dots.  To most of these people the dots and number are
ONE symbol and that is why they get stuck.  The Dotmath for kids
system helps break the bond and remove the dots from the number.  The
Dotmath system also teaches how every number is a calculator.  Single
line symbols and  digital number symbols are explained.  This system
has helped children beat a calculator in a race.

  You asked for advise as to how to help her recover.  You can get
the DotMath for kids charts from the DotMath for kids web site with
any search box.  I would advise you to look into that to see if
that would be helpful.  You can copy the charts from the site for FREE
as long as you do not mix any thing from the site with
touch math.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®