From: roenjewell <roenjewell@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008092622:55:27
Subject: Re: touch point math

Thank you for all the valuable information regarding Touch Math. My
daughter (1st grade) just brought home a page of "math" work based on
this method. Previously, in home, we had been learning base-10 math
utilizing Math-U-See manipulatives. She was well on her way to
grasping addition, and place value. I needed her to explain this
"touch math" method to me.  Immediately I questioned how stripping
numbers of their values and ignoring place value, and ignoring the
necessity of quantifying "0" will assist in her future understanding
of mathematics. I see that Touch Math  could allow for a "quick &
dirty" approach to low-level computation. But then what?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/