From: Dawn
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2009072301:01:31
Subject: Prompts should fade

I am a teacher in special education.  I have tought Touch Math.  I
read these comments and I think that the main thing that teachers need
to remember is that prompts should fade overtime.  Teachers need to
make sure that concepts are learned and not actions.  I think that
touch math can be helpful for young children and special needs kids;
however, you must try and generalize the information i.e. take away
the prompts (the dots).  A child should know how to do math skills dot
free by at least second grade.  Make it a slow fade--not here one day
and gone the next.

I looked on the touch math web site--one thing that I noticed is that
most of what I read was that touch math was used in addition to
another method of teaching math.  I think that touch math is a great
supplemental activity.

With the IDEA law focusing on research based teaching touchpoint is
going to really need some evidence based data soon!

However, I still plan on getting some of the materials to supplement
my math instruction.

Thanks
Dawn

Post a reply to this message