Q&A #17459

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Who "invented" touch point math?

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Dawn

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2009072301:01:31
Subject: Prompts should fade

I am a teacher in special education. I have tought Touch Math. I read these comments and I think that the main thing that teachers need to remember is that prompts should fade overtime. Teachers need to make sure that concepts are learned and not actions. I think that touch math can be helpful for young children and special needs kids; however, you must try and generalize the information i.e. take away the prompts (the dots). A child should know how to do math skills dot free by at least second grade. Make it a slow fade--not here one day and gone the next. I looked on the touch math web site--one thing that I noticed is that most of what I read was that touch math was used in addition to another method of teaching math. I think that touch math is a great supplemental activity. With the IDEA law focusing on research based teaching touchpoint is going to really need some evidence based data soon! However, I still plan on getting some of the materials to supplement my math instruction. Thanks Dawn

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®