From: Stacy Chambers <stacy06137630@Yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2012030116:13:47
Subject: I invented touch math at age 6!

	Hope that got everyone's attention lol. I'm 35. We did not have touch
math in the school system that I was in in K-2 all those years ago. I
remember not being able
to keep up with everyone else. To help myself understand that each
number represented a certain amount I needed more than a set of lady
bugs or acorns beside the number when trying to add or subtract those
numbers. I started putting really heavy pencil marks on the actual
numbers and later  visualized those dot pasterns in my mind. I did
this because using my fingers to add and subtract was embarrassing.
All these years later I find out through testing that my son is
dyslexic and so am I. Can anyone imagine how it feels to find out
there was a reason and a name for all my troubles and that I was
bright enough at age 6 to devise a system of my own to help cope with
my math problems? I never would have guessed that years later there
would be a system like this that I would be buying for my own son. So,
if it's true beginnings were intended for adults, please know that a
little girl figured it out for herself. I still use the mental imager
to help me today. I have an associates degree and I'm an accounting
major.
S. Chambers

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question