Q&A #17459

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Who "invented" touch point math?

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Stacy Chambers

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2012030116:13:47
Subject: I invented touch math at age 6!

Hope that got everyone's attention lol. I'm 35. We did not have touch math in the school system that I was in in K-2 all those years ago. I remember not being able to keep up with everyone else. To help myself understand that each number represented a certain amount I needed more than a set of lady bugs or acorns beside the number when trying to add or subtract those numbers. I started putting really heavy pencil marks on the actual numbers and later visualized those dot pasterns in my mind. I did this because using my fingers to add and subtract was embarrassing. All these years later I find out through testing that my son is dyslexic and so am I. Can anyone imagine how it feels to find out there was a reason and a name for all my troubles and that I was bright enough at age 6 to devise a system of my own to help cope with my math problems? I never would have guessed that years later there would be a system like this that I would be buying for my own son. So, if it's true beginnings were intended for adults, please know that a little girl figured it out for herself. I still use the mental imager to help me today. I have an associates degree and I'm an accounting major. S. Chambers

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®