From: Michelle
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008021217:35:22
Subject: Re: The Potential Dangers of Teaching Touch Math

I was taught touch points in the first grade.  I continued to use them
throughout my school years.  I found it very helpful and not at all
harmful.  I went on to win several math awards in high school.  Did
you ever use this method or are you just basing your research on
psychological theories?  I scored extremely high on all math exams in
school, from TAKS to SAT's.  I teach now and am planning on using the
strategies in my classroom.  It is a way to get to answers more
quickly, but accurately.  You feel it has no real "math value", but
there are several other ways to teach other math concepts in the
classroom so that the students are not deprived.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/