Q&A #17459

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Who "invented" touch point math?

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Michelle

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008021217:35:22
Subject: Re: The Potential Dangers of Teaching Touch Math

I was taught touch points in the first grade. I continued to use them throughout my school years. I found it very helpful and not at all harmful. I went on to win several math awards in high school. Did you ever use this method or are you just basing your research on psychological theories? I scored extremely high on all math exams in school, from TAKS to SAT's. I teach now and am planning on using the strategies in my classroom. It is a way to get to answers more quickly, but accurately. You feel it has no real "math value", but there are several other ways to teach other math concepts in the classroom so that the students are not deprived.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®