From: Eileen

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008021415:18:14
Subject: Re: Re: Re: The Potential Dangers of Teaching Touch Math

This discussion is interesting to me. I teach 7th grade, so I am the one who gets to re-train all the kids who picked up math using shortcuts without understanding what they were doing. Unfortunately, unless a student is very bright, if they don't have the concepts behind the tricks, it doesn't translate well to the more abstract math like algebra. From what I gather, touchmath is a good strategy for REMEDIATION when other methods have failed or a student has a very difficult time memorizing things. But students must learn the concepts first and foremost. I tihnk if touchmath used as the first line of introducing addition in kindergarten or first grade, it is really a misuse.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/