Q&A #178

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Concept of division

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Loyd <loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001091007:34:25
Subject: Re: Long division

I have two examples of long division at the following web sites.

I usually first approach division with something like this"

17 divided by 5:  ***** ***** ***** **  By grouping into fives, it is
easy to see that the answer is 3 and remainder 2.  Some people use
beans and paper plates to demonstrate this.

Then, you should realize that division is just repeated subtraction.
Thus How many times can we subtract 5 from 17?

12     (1 subtraction)
 7     (two subtractions)
---    (3 subtractions)
 2   Remainder is two

The answer is 3 with a remainder of 2.

Hope this helps.  Keep up the good work.  Tutoring is one of the best
ways to understand math.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®