Q&A #18119

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: "Bottoms up" as a method to factor trinomials

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Bud Simrin

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2012112922:08:00
Subject: Proof of bottom up method in factoring

It took me 2 days, but I have a full proof of the method. I'll make it available to anyone who wants it. However, I need to caution that the proof is far more complicated than one would expect. This is because, as has been pointed out, the method only works if a, b, and c are relatively prime. Bringing this fact into the proof is what causes the complexity. Every single step is very simple, but at the end it may leave you puzzled as to what the whole picture is. The reason I can't post it here is because I used an equation editor and it doesn't copy/paste into plain text. I can provide it as a pdf document for anyone who wants it.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®