From: cork <connermountain@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007110108:52:13
Subject: Re: Saxon math

I think that you are very lucky to be employed in a system that uses
the Saxon series. It is the only series that has proven to make a
significant positive difference in mathematics learning in hundreds of
schools across the country. Especially in this age where programs such
as Mathland, Everyday Math, CMP, and similar programs exist, Saxon
gives a good solid foundation in skills AND CONCEPTS which allows the
students to continue their progress in mathematics, and gives them
confidence in math which encourages more students to enroll in physics
and chemistry courses. I taught from Saxon books for about 16 years
and from other programs for about 16 years. I taught all levels of
math and all ability levels of students from 6th grade through AP
Calculus. The students did much better using Saxon. This included all
ability levels. The "skill and drill" phrase is used by many to
villify the Saxon books. His books actually do a tremendous job of
helping the students to develop a deep understanding of important math
concepts. Again, I believe that you are very lucky to be at a school
where Saxon's books are being used.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®