Q&A #18434

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Adopting a new mathematics curriculum

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: cork

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007110109:52:13
Subject: Re: Saxon math

I think that you are very lucky to be employed in a system that uses the Saxon series. It is the only series that has proven to make a significant positive difference in mathematics learning in hundreds of schools across the country. Especially in this age where programs such as Mathland, Everyday Math, CMP, and similar programs exist, Saxon gives a good solid foundation in skills AND CONCEPTS which allows the students to continue their progress in mathematics, and gives them confidence in math which encourages more students to enroll in physics and chemistry courses. I taught from Saxon books for about 16 years and from other programs for about 16 years. I taught all levels of math and all ability levels of students from 6th grade through AP Calculus. The students did much better using Saxon. This included all ability levels. The "skill and drill" phrase is used by many to villify the Saxon books. His books actually do a tremendous job of helping the students to develop a deep understanding of important math concepts. Again, I believe that you are very lucky to be at a school where Saxon's books are being used.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®