From: Marisa <marisa1010@gmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2009092712:35:27
Subject: Improving problem solving skills

I have always loved math, and I proactively sought out the best path
to the solution. Math has a reputation for being hard or boring. I
believe that is due to the curriculum being focused on processes and
solutions instead of the logic of the process. I see it as an Art
class focused on tracing and connect-the-dots, and never allowing the
students to start with a blank canvas. Comprehending the logic brings
excitement to math because it allows students to problem solve
creatively, discover the best path, and then solve the math question.

I am currently pursuing my Masters in Education at Capella University.
My teacher inquiry focus is: How can I increase students’ math
problem solving skills?

My current hypothesis is: Incorporating a curriculum focus around
finding multiple solution strategies could increase students’
problem solving skills.

I would love to discuss this project with other math teachers to
ensure I am seeing all points of view for this topic.

Thank you,
Marisa

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question