Q&A #18434

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Adopting a new mathematics curriculum

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Marisa

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2009092713:35:27
Subject: Improving problem solving skills

I have always loved math, and I proactively sought out the best path to the solution. Math has a reputation for being hard or boring. I believe that is due to the curriculum being focused on processes and solutions instead of the logic of the process. I see it as an Art class focused on tracing and connect-the-dots, and never allowing the students to start with a blank canvas. Comprehending the logic brings excitement to math because it allows students to problem solve creatively, discover the best path, and then solve the math question. I am currently pursuing my Masters in Education at Capella University. My teacher inquiry focus is: How can I increase students’ math problem solving skills? My current hypothesis is: Incorporating a curriculum focus around finding multiple solution strategies could increase students’ problem solving skills. I would love to discuss this project with other math teachers to ensure I am seeing all points of view for this topic. Thank you, Marisa

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®