Q&A #18923

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Subtracting fractions

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2010122117:21:38
Subject: Re: Subtraction fractions with Calculator

Many teachers don't allow the use of a calculator but the type of problem posted by myself on this date can be easily solved by using the calculator that is often allowed for problems of this type. That is the CASIO fx260 which is allowed on tests such as GED and in some testing. The value of the calculator such as the low cost CASIO or equivalent is that a student can check their work and gain confidence in their procedure. I wouldn't let a student use the calculator in all testing but after he/she understands the procedure, I believe it is worth while. For example, the problem 10 3/7 subtract 5 2/3 can be solved on the fx260 by pushing the following buttons: 10 fraction button 3 fraction button 7 - 5 fraction button 2 fraction button 3 then push "=". The answer is as indicated previously. The fraction button looks like a mixed number and is a b/c.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®