Q&A #192

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Photography and math

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Michael Wathen

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002030523:32:47
Subject: Re: Aerial Photography and Proportional Reasoning

I forgot to mention what is probably the most important part of using proportions and photgraphs. You can alway analyze the pixel dimensions in a photograph by saving the picture, then opening it with Microsoft Paint. The coordinates are given in the bottom right hand side for any pixel. Using the example below, save the Cincinnati picture. Open the picture in Paint. To determine the pixel length to the runway you will need to apply the distance formula from one end of the runway to the other. On 2002030413:35:41, Michael Wathen wrote: > >I use internet photos regularly in my class room to provide a rich >understanding of proportion. Here's and example, below is a photo >(high altitude)of my home town. > >http://www.mathteachtech.com/portfolio/SpaceCincinnati1.jpg > >Can you figure out the distance on the ground from the left side of >the picture to the right side? What could give you the clue? The >runway in the picture is about 10,000 feet long? > >Was this picture taken from a satellite or from a high altitude plane? > >Can you figure out the height from the ground? Assume the camera is a >35 mm lense with a 50mm focal length. > >Michael Wathen >

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®