Q&A #19283

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Mathematics language and word problems

View entire discussion
[ next >>]

From: susancaro

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008070100:27:32
Subject: problem with word problems

Hello out there, I teach middle school and find that there is a serious problem that exists between the students and mathematical word problems. They seem to lack comprehension of what information is given and what they are asked to do. I think that the students do not comprehend the vocabulary nor the process involved. They often know the vocabulary but cannot break the problem into smaller segments which is needed in order to solve the problem. They get frustrated and often decide that it is simply to difficult and do not even attempt to do the work.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®