From: Megan

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2009112016:00:58
Subject: fractions as remainders in long division

What is the mathematical reasoning behind not using "R" before a remainder expressed in fraction form? We use an "R" followed by a whole number to represent a remainder in long division, so why is it considered "wrong" to write the "R" before representing the remainder as a fraction. I need to know why the "R" is not acceptable - "because it is just not done" is not a good enough explanation!!! Thank you for your help!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/