From: Loyd <loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2009081120:20:24
Subject: Using the divide or "per" line

A horizontal line is best, but it is hard to make that symbol on a
computer so we use the slash which has been adopted by most (or some)
calculator manufacturers to mean divide or in the case of percent, it
means "per" which means divide.

For example, one often hears miles "a" gallon when it should be miles
"per" gallon.  Saying it the latter way, helps to calculate the unit
values.

I agree with Gail's post.  We should use a horizontal line especially
when we are using a pencil and paper such as in class.

I have seen problems when students keep using slashes versus
horizontal lines.  It distorts the position of the numerator and
denominator and without grouping symbols gives incorrect answers.

The first poster is right, the proper use of grouping symbols can
prevent calculation errors.

Look at this problem in the vertical three line form:
 3  +    1       4
__      __    =  __
4+1    2+3       5

Compare this to the one line form often written as 3/4+1+1/2+3=5

If you are going to use the one line form, you must use grouping
symbols.

3/(4+1) + 1/(2+3)=4/5

When I started writing computer programs lack of grouping symbols was
often what caused programs to get incorrect answers.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/