Q&A #19681

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Fraction notation in algebra 1

View entire discussion
[<< prev]

From: pat Ballew

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2009120407:55:40
Subject: Re: Fraction notation in Algebra 1

I will actually go farther and suggest that as an aid to understanding, it would be good for teachers to model (and suggest that students) write the numerator and denominator of algebraic fractions in parentheses. The Ubiquity of calculators have made them a regular part of classroom instruction and evaluation, and yet many of them still use the solidus (slanted bar) since they (often) write out expressions on a single line. The student who wants to evluate or graph (3x-5) divided by (2x+1) often ends up with a result of 3x - 5/(2x) + 1; even if the original problem was written with a horizontal vincula. I feel obligated to teach my students to use the technology that becomes part of their evaluation proceedures. Pat

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®