From: Robert

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2009090615:07:55
Subject: -x=2 is equal to x=-2

 Here is another idea. Take the equation -x=2 and add to it the
equation x= - 2. On the left the x's cancel: on the right the 2's
cancel. Hence 0 = 0. Therefore, the equations are true. If the
equations are true, it follows that -1 times - 1  = +1 and a negative
times a negative must  result in a positive. I append the thought:
Mental shortcuts may lead to mental traps." The FAQ Ogden Nash
quotation is worth repetition:" Negative times negative results in a
plus/The reasons for this we need not discuss." Robert

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/