From: Kris Newtown <mrsnewtown@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2010041421:15:15
Subject: Web 2.0 tools to demonstrate math understanding

You may also want to look into the use of Web 2.0 tools to help
students demonstrate their understandings of concepts.  They could
create a glogster virtual poster (www.gloster.com) which is very
similar to a paper poster but allows students to add links and
interactivity including audio and video files.  How about having the
students create a PowerPoint presentation explaining the process and
then uploading this to Animoto.com to develop a music video of sorts.
Or maybe they could create a cartoon using Bitstrips.com.  My students
have loved all of these activities.  They've also enjoyed www.voki.com
and www.xtranormal.com as programs to express their understanding.  If
you've ever seen www.mathtv.com you could also have your students do
something like this.  Currently my students are in the first of a two
year accelerated course.  They've each been assigned 18 questions from
various topics to create a video instruction for which will then be
uploaded to our secure website for them to review next year before
their state exam.

Hope these ideas give you and your students some creative avenues for
expressing their understanding.

Kris Newtown
Frankfort-Schuyler Middle School Math

Post a reply to this message