Q&A #202

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Graphing linear inequalities

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Don Bellairs

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007071212:05:27
Subject: discriminants and roots?

Please excuse my neediness: I am an English teacher/counselor making ends meet by tutoring a graduating HS senior. We are stuck on some math stuff and I don't know how to research it...Found your site. Briefly, 3 questions: Why does a quadratic equation have one soution if the discriminant is zero. I don't know how to explain that. What does a parabola with 2 x-intercepts look like in equation form? For which value of k does kx2 - 10x + 25k = 0 -1, 2, 3, 5 or 10? Thanks. We are finishing a college prep course and I can't explain these questions... Also, our text book refers to "roots" sometimes and "solutions" at others. Are these interchangeable terms? Thanks, Don

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®