From: loyd <loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001071614:44:04
Subject: Re: Re: teaching time

I see I need to use a spell checker next time.   Actually, I don't see
very well and didn't think I needed to spell check.  Here is the
message again (I also changed 50 to 60 in two places):

This is often a difficult topic to teach.  The two main problems seem
to be:

1.  When borrowing an hour from the hour column, the student tries to
change the one hour to 10 minutes vice 60 minutes. Also when adding
and the minutes add to 60 or more the student has problems converting
to hours.

2.  The other problem in finding elapsed time is when one time is in
the morning and the other time is in the afternoon.  Universal time or
military time is useful here.  Just add 12 hours to the afternoon time
and the problem is easier.  The way I was taught this combersome
problem, was to work it in two parts.  Find the elasped time from the
morning time to the noon time and from noon to the evening time. Then
add the two times together.
Now, I use universal time for the most part.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/