From: Loyd <loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001071606:49:59
Subject: Re: teaching time

This is often a difficult topic to teach.  The two main problems seems
to be:

1.  When borrowing an hour from the hour column, the student tries to
cange the one hour to 10 minutes vice 50 minutes. Also when adding and
the minutes add to 60 or more the student has problems converting to
hours.

2.  The other problem is finding elapsed time when one time is in the
morning and the other time is in the afternoon.  Universal time or
military time is useful here.  Just add 12 hours to the afternoon time
and the problem is easier.  The way I was taught this comberson
problem was to work it in two parts.  Find the time from the morning
time to the noon time and from noon to the evening time. Now, I use
universal time for the most part.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®