From: Suzanne

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001030820:04:52
Subject: Re: Fun ideas for math awareness month

What a wonderful idea! The Ask Dr. Math service doesn't actually have puzzles available but you could find some very good questions by using the archives. Since you didn't indicate the grade level, the example I will give here is for elementary students but you could do the same idea for any grade level. Here is what I'm thinking: Go to the Archives (if you look here: http://mathforum.com/dr.math/ you will find whichever grade level is appropriate) : http://mathforum.com/dr.math/drmath.elem.html and I selected "Word Problems" thinking there might be some fun problems here. Then I saw this letter: 21 Nickels, Dimes and Pennies in a Dollar http://mathforum.com/dr.math/problems/coins.in.dollar.html and the parent had written in with a question her son had: "How can you have 21 coins of nickels, dimes, and pennies, that equal one dollar using no quarters?" What would be very fun is if you gave the students a hint that the "answers" were on the Internet at the Math Forum. Maybe you could post the URLs in the cafeteria or give them to the math teachers to post in the classroom or the library or wherever the students might have Internet access. If you have further questions about this idea, please don't hesitate to write back. Also, we would love to hear how it goes if you use this idea. I hope you have a successful Math Awareness Month! -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/