Q&A #2193

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Trailblazers Math Program

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Liz Estell

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004091713:17:12
Subject: Re: Trailblazers switch in Wake County

I too am a concerned parent with a child in the second grade using the math trailblazers or "fuzzy math". She does not have the basic math concepts of addition and subtraction! Evidently Wake county has bought the program for 5 years!!! I don't think parents realize that this program has been ditched in 4 other states due to kids failing in upper grades. I spoke with the principal at my school (Fuquay Varina) and related my concerns. He has told the teachers they may supplement if they feel the need..... that says it all right there to me. Currently I am doing "mommy math" every night using flash cards, games and yahtzee which is helping to some extent. I am about ready to pull her out of public school and home school. I might as well for all the extra stuff I am having to do at home. There are several places on the internet you can look up this type of teaching method....I have not found anything positive yet. I believe the intention is to teach to the test, so that the kids pass, the schools have better scores and they receive more funding from the government.... at the expense of our kids. Good luck and I intend to spread the word to as many parents as I can.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®