From: Liz Estell <estellgl@earthlink.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004091712:17:12
Subject: Re: Trailblazers switch in Wake County

I too am a concerned parent with a child in the second grade using the
math trailblazers or "fuzzy math".  She does not have the basic math
concepts of addition and subtraction!  Evidently Wake county has
bought the program for 5 years!!!  I don't think parents realize that
this program has been ditched in 4 other states due to kids failing in
upper grades.  I spoke with the principal at my school (Fuquay Varina)
and related my concerns.  He has told the teachers they may supplement
if they feel the need..... that says it all right there to me.
Currently I am doing "mommy math" every night using flash cards, games
and yahtzee which is helping to some extent.  I am about ready to pull
her out of public school and home school.  I might as well for all the
extra stuff I am having to do at home.  There are several places on
the internet you can look up this type of teaching method....I have
not found anything positive yet.  I believe the intention is to teach
to the test, so that the kids pass,  the schools have better scores
and they receive more funding from the government.... at the expense
of our kids.
Good luck and I intend to spread the word to as many parents as I can.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/