From: Linda

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1998110716:07:43
Subject: division of fractions

I had given up trying to get students to understand the algorithm of division because I had been unable to really get my mind around some good ideas for working through it. Then, keeping a good eye out for suggestions, I have run across several articles in "Mathematics in the Middle Grades," the NCTM journal for middle school teachers. They have had 3 or 4 articles in the past two years that have addressed this exact issue. I would recommend getting those articles and reading them. Now that I am back teaching sixth grade I will be using those ideas with my students. Essentially, it suggests that you begin with students working on familiar division problems and incrementally moving toward problems that may be new to them, at least on a conceptual level. If you are unable to get ahold of the articles, maybe you would want to contact me directly. I do not have the articles here with me at home but could reference them more directly if I knew to bring them home from school. Good luck

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/