From: Bev <blund@usd313.k12.ks.us>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002020113:57:16
Subject: teaching dividing fractions

I start by using what they are familiar with:
1/2 of 4
1/3 of 9
1/4 of 12
1/10 of 90

I then write these as multiplication problems:
4 x 1/2
9 x 1/3
12 x 1/4
90 x 1/10
After that i write these basic facts down:
4 / 2
9 / 3
12 / 4
90 / 10

They tnen point out to me what is the same and what is different.  My
students have never questioned why they multiply by the reciprocal
after this lesson.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®