From: Jean E.

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001050100:10:03
Subject: Homeschooling Math- early algebra and geometry

I've gotten some great info from this board, but now I'm overwhelmed by good ideas. I am trying to choose some supplementary curricula for my son to use for 4-6 grade. We are both satisfied with Modern Curriculum Press to cover the basics, but he works through the text in a little more than 1 semester, and rather that try to speed through, I’d like to use the time to include some introductory algebra and geometry in our studies. I’ve bookmarked lots of Suzanne’s pages (they’re great!), but I’d appreciate feedback on these ideas for curriculum. Algeblocks and VersaTiles Algebra Lab (from ETA) Keys to Geometry and Geometer’s sketchpad (Key Curriculum Press) Creative Problem Solving by George Lenchner (Math Olympiad materials) My goal is to build a foundation of basic arithmetic and also develop problem solving skills. Trying to choose between the conflicting philosophies of math education and the countless curricula options has given me a new outlook on the term “math anxiety”- any insight would be appreciated. Jean

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/