From: sarah

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999122918:37:43
Subject: Re: problem solving and lets actually say something

You got it. Kids, and adults need to learn skills. I teach using a 4 step method 1 Find Out what the problem actually says. Sift out important information and unimportant information. You must be able to state the question in your own words before you move on . 2 Choose a strategy. There are many. I usually teach 4 each year such as Guess and Check, Look for a pattern, Act it out, and Logical Reasoning. 3. Solve the Problem. Note you may decide to change your strategy once you start this process. That's great. 4. Look Back. Check the solution and then answer the problem in terms of how the question was asked. I realised that Learning to ask the useful questions was a very important skill in itself and needed to be taught and practiced. This style of teaching brought very good results with students. Note I taught this to the very able students and they still needed to be taught the skills. Sarah

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/