Q&A #246

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Using the Internet in the classroom

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Suzanne Meyer

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1998090712:10:49
Subject: Power Point and Math

While this is not a Net related activity, it is proving to be highly motivational. Middle school students develop their own word problems based on class instruction in math concepts. They then take digital photographs to illustrate the problem. After the word problems have passed a "quality" test by at least four other students and the teacher, the team that created the word problem(s) puts together 1-3 Power Point slides using photographs as well as words to pose the questions. We just started doing this last year and will do more with the concept this coming school year. As our own technology skills grow, we will consider posting the slides on a student-developed web site for other students to answer. The power of combining math with visuals shows great promise for teaching students who have difficulty with more traditional approaches. If you or your students would like to "test" our word problems, please contact me via e-mail at Sue5472@aol.com

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®