From: Janey Watkins

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1998111212:09:22
Subject: Internet and advanced or laggging students

Hello! I am not so sure if this is very relevant to a one or two computer classroom, but I have found that individual learning on the internet can work wonders for students ahead and/or behind the class. I have a particularly smart math whiz in my class who has benefitted from this, and a lagging student who has, as well. Individualized programs on the computer are a super way to help kids learn more on their own pace! MATH DEN, a Canadian website, is good for those advanced students (it's at http://www3.actden.com/math_den/index.htm). My 8th grade whiz works on the third level, although I think 1st and 2d are the most beneficial levels to the not-as-advanced 8th grade kids. (On the program, 1st level is recommended for 7th grade to 8th, 2d level for 8th grade, 3rd for 9th-10th grade, 4th for 11-12th grade, etc.). I even have a little bit of fun with DEN. Some good shareware programs are the ALGEBRAX and ALGEBRA CLASSROOM by "Professor Weissman". These programs are good for advanced kids who want to learn algebra NOW (a rarity), or the lagging algebra students who don't understand their textbooks. There's a website address for this one, too: http://www.math911.com . The programs there are super. (I haven't tried the Windows 95 version, but the DOS version is EXCELLENT. I give it seven stars *******.) Good luck with computers in the class-room, Janey Watkins

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/