Q&A #255

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Teaching more/less in Kindergarten

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Valerie

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001092422:02:48
Subject: use of manipulatives

How much freedom should a teacher allow when using manipulatives? I find that my students use the pattern blocks, unifix cubes and counters more for dramatic play, mixing up pieces moreso than the intended use of counting, sorting or connecting to them. They are using great imagination and language, but where do you draw the line? Play becomes very messy and overwhelming many times, and clean up is more difficult. These are pre-k students, so we're talking in simple terms and I'm just hoping to hepl them focus effectively without imposing on personal freedom.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®