From: Valerie <Valli697@cs.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001092422:02:48
Subject: use of manipulatives

How much freedom should a teacher allow when using manipulatives?  I
find that my students use the pattern blocks, unifix cubes and
counters more for dramatic play, mixing up pieces moreso than the
intended use of counting, sorting or connecting to them.  They are
using great imagination and language, but where do you draw the line?
Play becomes very messy and overwhelming many times, and clean up is
more difficult.  These are pre-k students, so we're talking in simple
terms and I'm just hoping to hepl them focus effectively without
imposing on personal freedom.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®