Q&A #257

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Math and Bloom's Taxonomy

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Jeanne B.

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003032314:46:18
Subject: Re: Bloom's and Math

Frank -- I read your message concerning applying Bloom's and questionsing srategies in Math class. I teach 4th Grade and have studied teaching Algebraic Ideas to Elementary Students for the past two years in order to obtain my Rank One. I found that by using Bloom's higher levels -- analyzing, synthesizing and evaluating -- when questioning my students during Math, helps them become better problem solvers. I was not comfortable with Algebra when I studied it in high school and my purpose in studying how to teach it to elementary students is to make sure they are comfortable and capable Math students at all levels. Asking students to explain their Math answers, using words, drawings or diagrams and numbers (equations), is an excellant way to assess if they truly understand the concept taught. Having students extend and explain a number pattern engages them in higher level thinking skills, too. I also have my students come up with their own questions about a lesson to help each other. This is difficult at first and they ususally just ask knowledge questions. But with practice, they begin to ask better questions -- questions to which they can explain the answers. I hope this information is useful. Jeanne B. Florence, KY

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®