From: Jeanne B. <djburing@fuse.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003032313:46:18
Subject: Re: Bloom's and Math

Frank --

I read your message concerning applying Bloom's and questionsing
srategies in Math class.  I teach 4th Grade and have studied teaching
Algebraic Ideas to Elementary Students for the past two years in order
to obtain my Rank One.  I found that by using Bloom's higher levels --
analyzing, synthesizing and evaluating  -- when questioning my
students during Math, helps them become better problem solvers.  I was
not comfortable with Algebra when I studied it in high school and my
purpose in studying how to teach it to elementary students is to make
sure they are comfortable and capable Math students at all levels.
Asking students to explain their Math answers, using words, drawings
or diagrams and numbers (equations), is an excellant way to assess if
they truly understand the concept taught.  Having students extend and
explain a number pattern engages them in higher level thinking skills,
too.  I also have my students come up with their own questions about a
lesson to help each other.  This is difficult at first and they
ususally just ask knowledge questions.  But with practice, they begin
to ask better questions -- questions to which they can explain the
answers.
I hope this information is useful.

Jeanne B.
Florence, KY