From: Kim <hayesk@ocps.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006072823:49:01
Subject: math class opener trick

One of the opener "tricks" I use with my 9th grade Algebra students
was this: You need a calendar big enough for the class to gather
around. I have them go up to the calendar and quietly chose 4 dates
off the calendar that form a perfect square. The add the dates
together and give me the total only. Then, using my magic algebra
formula, I solve it and tell them the four dates they chose. If you
use: n = 1st date

(n) + (n + 1) + (n + 7) + (n + 9) = the total given to you

Plug back in to arrive at the four dates chosen from the calendar. I
use this at the beginning of distributive property, but can be used in
several areas or just for fun.

KIM

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question