Q&A #267

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: An algebraic "proof" that 2 = 1

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003022308:20:33
Subject: Re: An algebraic "proof" that 2 = 1; division by zero

Claudia's proof had been around for a long time. I am glad she posted it here, because I can't always remember it when I want it. The reason it works is that in the beginning a was set equal to b and later, both sides of the equation were divided by a-b which is of course = zero. This problem is an excellent example of why you can't divide by zero!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®