Q&A #281

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Algebra 2 applications

T2T || FAQ || Teachers' Lounge || Browse || Search || T2T Associates || About T2T

View entire discussion
[<< prev]

From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003042409:45:47
Subject: Re: irrational numbers

On 2003042320:15:30, joel goldentyer wrote: > > How do I convert from the decimal form of an irrational number to >a 'simpler' form like the square root of 2 over two? Thanks > Even the square root of 2 over 2 can't be expressed as an exact decimal. 0.70710678118654752440084436210485 is only accurate to about 32 places. But that is not exact because this decimal never repeats. So, a person could guess that the number could be derived by dividing square root of two by 2, but it is not an exact answer. That is why we call these numbers irrational. But as some say, it is close enough for government work.

Post a reply to this message
Post a related public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.