From: Jenny Salls <jsalls@nsn.k12.nv.us>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000120716:34:12
Subject: Re: Math Series

I was my district's math coordinator when we began textbook adoption
last year. I also facilitated our adoption 7 years ago.

We start by screening all texts to insure they meet our curriculum. We
then screen any texts which meet the curriculum for all the other
criteria - does it match our philosophy of teaching math, does it
provide support for special learners, etc.  We generate the screening
criteria by brainstorming those things that are important to us in a
text and then describing what that looks like in a textbook.

This last year, we started by looking at the publication called
"Choosing a Standards-Based Mathematics Curriculum" published by the
K-12 Mathematics Curriculum Center at EDC.  The book had some really
good suggestions and included some sample textbook screening
instruments.

Each district will have different criteria depending on what they
value in teaching mathematics and in a textbook.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/