From: Nik
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006100217:39:50
Subject: Please DON'T choose Everyday Math

Please, please don't choose Everyday Mathematics.

If you're chosing a new math curriculum please check the research that
the developer performed.  Please ensure that it is valid and
scientific.  SO much of it isn't!

Also, look into the ways that children learn, not just how they learn
math.  Look into studies that are performed by people other than
developers of the curriculum.  You can't believe everything they say!
Look for programs that are proven to work over time and that are
supported by mathematicians.

And again, please don't choose Everyday Mathematics (aka USCMP,
Chicago Math), Trailblazers, or TERC.

I'm a mom and I've been doing a lot of research on these programs
lately.  I'm also a substitute teacher and I was very concerned by
what I was seeing in the middle school.  The district that we moved
into a year ago has been using Everyday Math for at least 8 years and
I'm seeing kids in middle school who can't add, subtract, multiply or
divide without using a calculator or their fingers.  The middle
schoolers math scores are extremely low, while the elementary scores
are high.  Why?  Probably because what Everday Math teaches in the
lower grades doesn't translate well to the upper.  The teachers may
love it because students are doing things they didn't think were
possible but when they reach middle school they can't do basic
computation.

Everyday Math is a spiraling program.  It touches on a subject a few
times over a couple of years.  It emphasizes that this takes the
pressure off of students because if they don't "get" it the first time
they will have another chance.  But what if they never "get" it?  What
if they move into the district in the middle of the elementary years?
What if they move out?

The program looks great on paper but in practice it just doesn't do
the job.  Students who don't understand learn not to worry because
they will be moving on to another topic soon.  Teachers don't worry
because they know the child will be exposed again to the topic.  This
builds complacency and eventually leads to low esteem when a middle or
high schooler can't do basic computations, thus making algebra
impossible.

This program also puts calculators in the hands of Kindergartners.
Enough said.

If you want to learn more visit the www.Illinoisloop.org website and
look under subjects and then math- specific programs.  You owe it to
the parents and students in your district to make as informed a
decision as possible.  Please!!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®