From: Eric Bates <ebates@lyon.k12.nv.us>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000112918:42:35
Subject: Silver Burdett Ginn

	Our district adopted a new series two years ago.  It was fully
implemeted last school year.  The series is from Silver Burdett Ginn.
We are using it K-6.

Prior to this, we were using Mimosa, which is a very manipulative
oriented program.  Many teachers felt it was to far to the hands-on
extreme.  It did not provide enough abstract practice of the new
concepts.  The Mimosa program also seemed to not have a good flow.
The objectives were covered in a very random fashion.

Silver Burdett Ginn has had a great reception in our district.  It has
a cross-curricular approach with excellent hands-on introductory
lessons.  It does a good job of moving from the concrete to the
abstract and providing ample practice of new skills.  The vast
majority of teachers are happy with this series.  While our test
scores have improved, it is too early to tell what the impact of the
text was.

I would recommend looking into this series, especially for K-3.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/