Q&A #2818

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Best math series

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Eric Bates

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000112919:42:35
Subject: Silver Burdett Ginn

Our district adopted a new series two years ago. It was fully implemeted last school year. The series is from Silver Burdett Ginn. We are using it K-6. Prior to this, we were using Mimosa, which is a very manipulative oriented program. Many teachers felt it was to far to the hands-on extreme. It did not provide enough abstract practice of the new concepts. The Mimosa program also seemed to not have a good flow. The objectives were covered in a very random fashion. Silver Burdett Ginn has had a great reception in our district. It has a cross-curricular approach with excellent hands-on introductory lessons. It does a good job of moving from the concrete to the abstract and providing ample practice of new skills. The vast majority of teachers are happy with this series. While our test scores have improved, it is too early to tell what the impact of the text was. I would recommend looking into this series, especially for K-3.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®